||135 Yaguan Road, Jinnan District, Tianjin 300354
||2009.08-2015.05The University of Texas at Austin, US, PhD，Engineering Mechanics
2007.08-2009.6Zhejiang University, M. Eng., Structural Engineering
2003.08-2007.6Zhejiang University, B. Eng., Civil Engineering
2019.3-present Professor, Tianjin University, China
2015.07-2019.02Engineering Associate, Stress Engineering Service, Houston, US
2015.06-2019.02Visiting Scholar/Postdoctoral, The University of Texas at Austin, US
2009.08-2015.05 Research Assistant, Engineering Mechanics, The University of Texas at Austin, US
||Instability in Thin-walled Structures; Mechanics of Architected Structures; Metamaterial;
Computational Mechanics; Offshore Pipeline Mechanics; Plastic Forming;
||ASME OMAE2019 Conference, Session Chair
ASME OMAE2018 Conference, Session Organizer
2014-present Member of ASME
International Journal of Solids and Structures;
Ships and Offshore Structures
Finite Elements in Analysis and Design
Pressure Vessel Technology
Theoretical & Applied Mechanics Letters
ASME 2011-2013 International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition
ASME2014-2019, International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering(OMAE)
||Professor Yuan received his PhD in Engineering Mechanics from the University of Texas at Austin in 2015 working with Professor Stelios Kyriakides at the Center for Mechanics of Solids, Structures and Materials. He then joined Stress Engineering Services as anEngineering Associate in Houston, Texas. Simultaneously, since June of 2015, he was appointed as a Visiting Scholar/Postdoctoralat the Center for Mechanics of Solids, Structures and Materials. Since March 2019, he became aProfessor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering at Tianjin University. His work has earned him several awards, including the Best Paper Award of OMAE in 2015.
Professor Yuan’s research areasinclude mechanics of architectedstructures, metamaterial design, as well as instability problems related to offshore pipeline and plastic forming.Prospective PhD and MS students, who are interested in these research areas are welcomed to contact Professor Yuan via email with a CV.
||Selected Journal Publications:
1. Yuan, L. and Kyriakides, S., 2015. Liner wrinkling and collapse of bi-material pipe under axial compression. International Journal of Solids and Structures, 60-61, 48-59, 2015.
2. Yuan, L. and Kyriakides, S., 2015. Wrinkling and collapse of girth-welded bi-material pipe under bending. Applied Ocean Research, 50, 209–216, 2015.
3. Yuan, L. and Kyriakides, S., 2014. Plastic bifurcation buckling of lined pipe under bending. European Journal of Mechanics-A/Solids, 47, 288–297, 2014.
4. Yuan, L. and Kyriakides, S., 2013. Liner wrinkling and collapse of bi-material pipe under bending. International Journal of Solids and Structures 51, 599–611, 2014
5. Yuan, L., Gong, S. F, and Jin, W. L., Analysis on buckling performance of submarine pipelines during deepwater pipe laying, China Ocean Engineering (2): 303~316, 2009
6. Yuan, L., Gong, S. F, and Jin, W. L., Investigation on spallation mechanism of RC slabs under contact detonation, Transactions of Tianjin University, 14(6): 464-469, 2008
7. Hao, A., Yuan, L., and Chen, J., 2015. Notch effects and crack propagation analysis on kenaf/polypropylene nonwoven composites. Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, 73, 11-19, 2015
8. Hao, A., Zhao, H., Jiang,W., Yuan, L., Chen, J., 2012. Mechanical Properties of Kenaf/Polypropylene Nonwoven Composites, Journal of Polymers and the Environment, 1-8,2012
9. Gong, S. F, Ni, X. Y, Yuan, L. and Jin, W. L., Buckling response of submarine pipelines under combined tension and bending, Structural Engineering and Mechanics 41 (6), 805-822,2012
10. Gong, S. F, Yuan, L. and Jin, W. L., Buckling response of offshore pipelines under combined tension, bending and external pressure, Journal of Zhejiang University Science, 12(8): 627-636, 2011
Selected Conference Proceedings:
1. Harrison, B., Yuan, L. and Kyriakides, S., 2016. Measurement of lined pipe liner geometric imperfections and their effect on wrinkling under bending. Proc. of 35th International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering, Busan, South Korea, June 19-24, 2016, Paper OMAE2016-54539.
2. Yuan, L. and Kyriakides, S., 2014. Wrinkling and collapse of lined and girth-welded pipe under bending. Proc. of 33rd International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering, San Francisco, June 8-13, 2014, Paper OMAE2014-23577.
3. Yuan, L. and Kyriakides, S., 2013. Wrinkling of lined pipe under bending. Proc. of 32nd International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering, Nantes, France, June 9-14, 2013, Paper OMAE2013-11139.
4. Hao, A., Yuan, L., Zhao, H., Jiang, W., and Chen, J., 2012. Notch Effects on the Tensile Property of Kenaf/Polypropylene Nonwoven Composites. ASME 2012 International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, Houston, Texas, November 9-15, 2012